Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Christmas Story

I have already had the best Christmas surprise, and its all Jen's fault.....
I know many of you that read this blog read Jen's, and know how her family lost their beloved pet Basil. Losing a loved one, two legged or four, is never easy. I lost my dog Mieko two years ago now. I loved him so much that every time I tried to get a new dog, all I could do is cry. My girls have been dying for a house dog (Mieko was a Husky/Malamute cross, not a lap dog) and I kept promising we would get one. It just never felt right. Every time I looked at a puppy all I could do was cry about how much I missed Mieko. It probably didn't help that right after I lost him my parents split up after 33 years (my step father adopted me). It been a very difficult past two years. Well yesterday, I got a reminder that when sometimes it seems like things are just being taken away, that if you keep strong the world finds a way to give back, and its all Jen's fault....
I drove down to a Petco (about an hour) to get Jen's boys a gift card to spend on a new pet's supplies. We only have a Petsmart here in town. I dropped the girls off at Mom's and was going to do a little Christmas shopping too. I walk in and there is this darling little dog. Perfectly trained, just looking at everyone walking by as she sat patiently on a leash next to a table. I knelt down and she crawled in my lap. I just assumed she was the lady's pet. The lady said she was up for adoption.....what? It was the local animal shelter that happened to be visiting the Petco. The dog had just been dropped off two days before. The family, also with two young girls, lost their home and had no choice. I can't explain it, but looking at that face I felt rescued......



So many hours later, a cell call to my vet for references, paperwork, trips to multiple stores for supplies, I came home with Avika, now Mieka. She is three years old, perfectly trained, a non stop cuddle bug, even trained not to bark. I still can't get over the fate of this little angle ending up in our home, thank you Jen, this is all your fault!
Merry Christmas to all!

8 comments:

Braymere said...

I am happy to take the credit for this :D

She is absolutely ADORABLE, but I still think you should have named her Basil!

Keiran Cole said...

Oh gosh, isn't she precious? Thank you for rescuing a dog! My rescue dog, Riley gives you four paws up and a wagging tail (belly rubs anyone?) for bringing home a rescue!

Danielle Feldman said...

So happy for you and your girls. Merry Christmas!

Tiffany Purdy said...

Mieka really is the best Christmas gift ever, she is so loving and so perfect with the girls, we couldn't ask for a better dog. I encourage everyone, adopt a shelter dog, its so rewarding knowing you have given them a second chance at a good life.
Merry Christmas!

Urbangoatgirl said...

What a lucky dog and lucky you! So glad you found each other. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Never imagined you Purdy with an ankle biter. You know these are currently classified in Rodentia, right? *smirk* All the best wishes with your new family member. We've always adopted shelter pets and have never been disappointed!

Chester's Mom said...

It was fate. Basil set it up for you I am sure.... and what a cutie pie! Congrats to you & the family and how wonderful to take a rescue pup!!!!

Jess S. said...

most of the time... they rescue you right back. :)