Sunday, March 6, 2011

Resin Rehab

Another week of having rooms torn apart to put the last of the new floors in..sigh, but its almost done! My studio is still filled with the trim for the kitchen area, but at least I got this guy done and for the next couple of weeks will be just painting. This Indian Silver came to me with a finish issue. The sealer on the horse was yellowing all over and the paint was even coming off in some places. On further inspection I believe acetone based paint was used (like for graphic arts) and due to thin primer underneath it was reaction with the resin itself.


Be careful stripping model, usually you are better off just sanding smooth and priming over it. Since these are "plastic" (hydrocarbon based) most strippers could cause long term damage and may result in leaching. For this guy I lightly brushed him with acetone, let it dry, and then sanded all over. I wanted this set to be special, so I reset his head and ear, gave him a new tail, and remade the dog so they seem to be checking each other out.
I am planning on dark bay rabicano for the horse and a black with tan points saluki..and the set is open to offers as well!
More tomorrow, gotta trim out the girls bathroom, guess what color I repainted it????

1 comment:

Urbangoatgirl said...

What a stunning set! I love your color choice and the customizing you did. Really lovely.