Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Run Scarlet Run!

Many people have asked how I get things done with a full time job and two kids...easy, I built them cages!
Actually this is a new house for the baby turkeys that are coming home today but Payton seems to like it!


Okay so poor Scarlet, she needs to be tack friendly. Now to me, I don't like putting bridles over bulky forelocks and an furry bridlepath area. You can see how the forelock and the mane behind the ears pulls the bridle up and foreward, giving it an ill fitting appearance.
A top view of how it sits incorrectly up on the back of the ears. Now this may not seem like a big deal, but in a highly competitive class, it can be the difference.

So I remove the offending mane area and the forelock. I use a small sanding drum and an oval cutter bit to do this. Notice I take extra off the neck so the sculpted in new area can be blended evenly.



Her tail is also a problem, that big poofy tail would be difficult to even put a fake crupper on since its so wide. That, and fake cruppers never look as nice as a real one since its difficult to tighten up the crupper and breeching strap without pulling it loose. And the wax build up gets into the tail hairs, which is damaging if you want to show your horses in halter. So off with her butt!
This is a hollow mold, so once the tail is removed I fill in the area with aluminum foil and a wire for the tail. Using foil saves so much apoxy!




Here is the basic fill in of her butt. For the first layer I make is just flush with the edges of the hole. I wait for this to set up before I sculpt in the "cheeks"




This wire is highly flexible, once the base it set, you can move it to decide on tail position. I plan for her to have a gently swished tail, like she is swatting at bugs waiting to move out......
More Friday, have Great America Physics Day tomorrow (I am the Physics teacher) so won't have time to post. Thanks for looking!



4 comments:

Braymere said...

SO excited, but feeling just a wee bit nervous... You don't really think I'm going to make a harness for her, do you? She *might* get a halter, but a harness?! My poor horses hardly ever get to be tacked up. There like the shoemakers kids running around barefoot! :)

Tiffany Purdy said...

oh you said she needed to be able to wear a harness, so you are making a harness!!!!!! or a pack set,,,,make it and like it!

ArabsRule said...

Scarlett totally needs to be shown in harness!

Danielle Feldman said...

I have a Valentin here that I was thinking of asking you to make a harness for, just thought I'd mention it...