Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Heads away!

Little Helpers....
Does anyone else have helpers like these? We have many farm cats, a few are true pets that come inside as well. This is my Geeza, who insists on helping me with everything. I had to finally bribe her with treats to keep her out of my way. I did get a tripod, horray!



This is the memphis belle resin with the new head. I also braided her up with a mud tail for a different look. With this resin I made metal ear shapes that I inserted in the head and sculpted over. I use thin aluminum sheet that I get at a craft store.
Here is a close up of the head. Keep in mind, this resin was fine the way she was, I just wanted to give it a new look. To me the biggest problem with resins is that when you go to show you end up with so many of the same mold in the class. I am always trying to improve my paint jobs, but I don't have the ability to do thousands of dollar paint jobs, so I try to do something else to make my pieces unique.


Below is the Godiva, a totally new look with relativly little work.


Here is her off side, she will be sporting a chestnut leopard appy paint job next!





And finally the stablemates from last week! These new molds are great! The reiner already left to his new home, but here are some others!



This stablemate is a head swap too, a combo of the G3 jumper body, walker head, and wire hind legs for stability. Freddie the Fabulous Flyer is a special piece for a friend that really wanted my NAN mule from two years ago. Now I WILL NOT copy special pieces, I will do a lot of Lady Phases with their heads down, but never the exact same color. I won't remake another Lady Liberty, but plan to make a parked out big lick walker stallion...so my point is, be original!






Lastly the little drafter, he got sold too, a simple custom, but a totally new look!




next I will do a painting bit, showing how I do leopard apps. I am by far not the best at it, but its a technique I think everyone can do.






2 comments:

bonnie1735 said...

How did you attach the models to their bases? Keep it coming!! I can't wait to get the next one.

Tiffany Purdy said...

I use 5 minute epoxy from good ol Walmart. Mix it up, set the horse it with something to balance it, let it set. Then paint the base. The bigger horses have wire in their feet to better anchor them, and usually a bigger horse I try to make them removable.