Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Stablemate Remaking, final day!

Welcome to the final day, the day where you can finish up remaking and prepare a model to paint! To answer a commom question, I get my dental tools off ebay, but you can find them in flea markets too. For priming and sanding, I get my sanding sponges and the rustoleum primer at Menard's (home improvement store, Wal-Mart doesn't carry the thin sponges) and the spray gesso from Dick Blick's www.dickblick.com
First step, sand models all over with a 150grit sanding sponge after all apoxy is dry. You can use the cordless dremel on low to sand in the ears and pasterns with a diamond dust bit.



Brush off all dust BEFORE you spray, I have a stiff stencil type brush I use for this. Dust will make little bumps in your final finish.
Here they are with the sanding sponge type I use. Allow to dry for about an hour, this really depends on your room temp and humidity. DO NOT use spray white primers. The chemical pigments they use to make white really tend to get sticky on models. I have researched to find out exactly why the is, but best I can figure its a reaction with those white pigments and the plastic of the model itself. I use the gray primer since it seems to have a smaller pigment size than the rust color so that leads to a smoother surface


The warmblood after one layer, can you tell I hung on by the tail? He still needs some buffing on the belly.....for this I a 180 grit sponge or an old 150grit that doesn't have as much tooth to it. Making sure I get all sanding marks out too.


The little drafter, standing up he really is neat, but thats not until he is painted!


And the little reiner who I completely didn't take progress photos of. He has a whole neck neck with a long reiner mane..but apparently I only copied this side onto my flash drive...sorry V was on last night and I was distracted!
After they are perfectly smooth I spray with gesso. You can paint right on the grey primer, but for certain body colors a white base is better. Spray gesso is AWESOME to paint on. Has just enough tooth that paint holds on wonderfullly from the first layer, so do pastels, and best of all, its NOT sticky!
Okay next you will see them painted, and next week its a Frankenstein remake, OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!! LOL
Keep the comments coming!




6 comments:

Danielle Feldman said...

Love the Warmblood's position!

What diamond bits are you using? Doesn't look like a Dremel...

Tiffany Purdy said...

he looks cooler on his base. It really is a great mold to work with!
I get the bits in a set at Menards. They are not made by dremel, but you will find them in the same aisle with all the dremel pieces. I need to buy a new set, so will post a pic when I get them.

Anonymous said...

Super cool stuff! Keep 'em coming :)!

TankDiveGirl said...

Hey Tiff, question --

I've bought 2 cans of Krylon spray gesso, and BOTH cans have clogged (or run out of propellant?!?!) less than a third of the way through the can. I follow the directions and turn it upside down and spray till clear gas comes out after every use, and they don't seem to be clogged in the nozzles...

I've temporarily switched to Krylon White Spray Paint (just the plain old spray paint, not primer) until I get it figured out, because at $8 a can, the gesso is too expensive to not use a whole can of.

What say you?

Also, my WB got scratched, so I'm going to CM him! Thanks for the inspiration!

Tiffany Purdy said...

For the gesso, what I do is after I spray I wipe the spray nozzle with a Q tip dipped in acetone. Just a quick wipe, the acetone can eat away at the nozzle. You can also soak the tip in warm water too. Just pull if off, its just a pressure nozzle so it won't hurt it. You can also buy a can of compressed carbon dioxide, like what you use to clean a keyboard, pull that nozzle off and put the gesso one of and blow those clogs out!

Tiffany Purdy said...

hey got to thinking, if you always spray out, it might be that the propellant is gone like you said. Stick the nozzle on another Krylon can to see. If thats the case, use the compress air to spray nozzle out in the future may solve your problem.